Friday 26 February 2016

Keep It Clean — Profanity Is Not Professional

Stylised image of call centre workers swearing, by Wendy Cockcroft
Well I was on the phone to a supplier we don't often use the other day, chasing an ETA for delivery, when I heard the most ungodly outburst of effin' and jeffin'. I was so gobsmacked that for a moment I couldn't believe I'd actually heard it. Then the admin on the other end apologised. "Sorry, that's not very nice for you."

I'm a grownup but I don't like having to hear that. Social discourse has degraded enough, we don't need more profanity in our lives, whatever the claims being made about it are. I get stressed when I hear it because I don't want to hear it.

It's ineffective


Swearing is not a terribly efficient way of communicating, particularly when it's just the way you talk and you're not upset about anything. What is easier to say: "That bloke is so annoying!" or "That $£%& is such a #@&$*** £$%&!" If the swearing comes more naturally to your mouth consider this: "That bloke is so annoying!" tells us what the problem is. It gets to the heart of the matter, while swearing merely tells us that you don't like him. It's subjective.

It's untidy


I have heard of people rolling into the office ten to fifteen minutes after they were due to start work. They didn't last. I've also seen people told off for wearing trainers to work during the week at some places I've worked, then making the excuse, "But they're so comfortable!" If it is reasonable and fair to call people to account for lax timekeeping and slovenly dress, it's reasonable and fair to tell them not to use foul language in the office, particularly in a call centre.

Come on, people, keep it clean. The trouble with [expletive deleted] swearing is that it gives the impression that you don't give a XXXX about your job or the people you work with, and that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment